About us

History and Vision
In a post 9/11 world, a spirit of fear exists toward those who are culturally and religiously different from us. However, alongside this spirit of fear there lives a spirit of hope.  In this world, and out of this hope, pastoral counseling must be engaged in ongoing dialogue with the cultural and historical changes where we live.

July 2007 found four pastoral counselors dreaming. Tom Knowles-Bagwell, Annette Rogers-Vaughn, Bruce Rogers-Vaughn, and Joy Samuels wondered whether they could create a pastoral counseling center that embodied their theological commitments while also embracing cultural and religious diversity.  The Pastoral Center for Healing was born out of their vision to create a center for healing rooted in the spirit of hospitality, mutuality, and fiscal responsibility.  In a world where many see religion as the problem, they were convinced emerging religious collaborations could be the answer. 

Very quickly this vision resonated with other faith community members. In August 2007, Second Presbyterian Church, Nashville, TN embraced The Pastoral Center for Healing as an outreach ministry while they were applying for their own 501(c)3 status.  In November 2007, First United Church (UCC), Nashville, TN offered the use of their old stone manse to house this ministry.  The doors of The Pastoral Center for Healing opened December 2007.  Currently, they are seeking conversation partners within Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, and Muslim communities to develop and support this vision.
Creating sacred space for healing within broken communities, broken relationships, and broken hearts

Three areas of focus express this mission:

  • Pastoral Counseling services to individuals, couples, and families.
  • Education and Training, and
  • Clergy and Congregational Resource Center.

1024 Noelton Avenue, Nashville, TN 37204

The Pastoral Center for Healing is located at the corner of Noelton Avenue and Granny White Pike one block North from Woodmont Blvd.  We are in the two story stone manse located behind the church.